Search This Blog

Monday, 20 July 2026

Fashion Spotlight: Meet Matilda "Emjey" – The Creative Turning Self-Love into Wearable Art

 Creativity has always been part of Matilda's story. Better known to her friends as Emjey, she is a poet, fashion designer, stylist, actress, and aspiring model whose journey has been shaped by resilience, self-discovery, and an unwavering love for artistic expression. From sewing handmade bags as a child to designing original fashion pieces inspired by femininity and confidence, Emjey is building a creative identity that is uniquely her own. She also dreams of becoming a travel photographer, combining her passion for storytelling, fashion, and adventure through the lens of a camera. In this interview, she shares the experiences that have shaped her journey, the challenges she has overcome, and the vision driving her future.

1. Who are you? Please introduce yourself to our readers.

Emjey: Hi! My name is Matilda, although most people know me as Emjey. I'm a poet, fashion designer, stylist, actress, and an aspiring model currently beginning my journey in the modeling industry. Beyond fashion, I also dream of becoming a travel photographer because I love telling stories through creativity and beautiful places.



2. What inspired you to become a fashion designer, stylist, and model?

Emjey: My love for fashion started when I was very young. My mum would give me leftover fabric, a needle, and thread, then ask me to make matching bags for her outfits. Those small projects sparked my creativity and encouraged me to experiment with different designs.

As I grew older, I became inseparable from my scissors, needle, and thread, constantly transforming ordinary materials into something beautiful. Learning to embrace my femininity and love my body changed everything. I began redesigning my own clothes because I always felt they could better reflect who I was.

Styling came during one of the hardest seasons of my life. Throughout most of 2025, I struggled with depression and spent much of my time indoors. Fashion became my therapy. Dressing up, experimenting with colours, textures, and different combinations helped me reconnect with myself. As my confidence grew, so did my desire to become a model.



3. How would you describe your personal style and fashion philosophy?

Emjey: I dress like myself—completely original and unforgettable. People often describe my style as streetwear mixed with earthy aesthetics, but I don't believe in putting fashion into boxes.

My philosophy is simple: style has nothing to do with the price tag. Fashion begins with self-love. When you truly appreciate your body and embrace who you are, confidence naturally becomes your greatest accessory.

4. What has been your biggest challenge in your fashion journey so far?

Emjey: Some days I still struggle with self-confidence. Whenever I feel low or become overly critical of myself, I tend to hide behind oversized clothing instead of expressing my true style.

Another challenge has been dealing with societal expectations. My style celebrates the female body instead of hiding it, and not everyone understands that. My parents' religious beliefs also make it difficult for them to support my passion for fashion, which sometimes affects my motivation. Even so, I've learned to keep moving forward.



5. Which achievement or project are you most proud of?

Emjey: My greatest achievement isn't an award—it's learning to love myself and my body. That personal growth has given me the courage to pursue my dreams. I'm also proud that I've taught myself skills like doing my own hair and creating my own fashion pieces. Right now, I'm focused on consistently sharing my work on Instagram and putting myself out there.

6. Who are your biggest inspirations in the fashion industry, both in Kenya and internationally?

Emjey: In Kenya, I admire Kenyan Goth and Zipporah Waweru (Just AWA) for their originality and confidence. Internationally, my biggest inspiration is Omolots from Nigeria. She inspires me every day to embrace my skin tone, love my body, and express myself fearlessly through fashion.



7. What advice would you give to young people who dream of becoming fashion designers, stylists, or models?

Emjey: Everything begins with self-love. Believe in yourself before asking anyone else to believe in you. Have confidence even when you don't have all the answers, and don't wait until you feel completely ready. Growth happens when you take the first step.

8. What's next for you, and where can people follow and support your work?

Emjey: My immediate goal is to build a stronger design portfolio by creating more original fashion pieces. Although resources are currently limited, I'm determined to keep creating and improving.

I'm also open to collaborating with fashion brands, photographers, and anyone looking to work with a creative stylist or model. While runway modeling isn't my focus, I'm passionate about fashion, editorial, and creative projects.

You can follow my journey on Instagram at @emjeyyy._, where I share my designs, styling ideas, and creative work. This is only the beginning, and I'm excited for what lies ahead.

2 comments:

FEATURED

Fashion Spotlight: Meet Matilda "Emjey" – The Creative Turning Self-Love into Wearable Art

 Creativity has always been part of Matilda's story. Better known to her friends as Emjey , she is a poet, fashion designer, stylist, ac...